Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

Tag! I'm it!

I have been highly entertained by this meme that is going around and I am honored to have been tagged by Keith Rawson. I love lying. Really, I do. As a writer I do it all the time. As an editor of "reality" shows, I do it for a living. In case you don't know, the rules:



• Tell up to six outrageous lies about yourself, and at least one outrageous truth – or – switch it around and tell six outrageous truths and one outrageous lie. (See below.)
• Nominate some more “Creative Writers” who might have fun coming up with outrageous lies of their own. (Check the end of this post.)
• Post links to the blogs you nominate.
• Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know that you have nominated them.



And now, my six truths and one lie. Can you spot the fake? Do you care?


1) When I was born I almost died from a blood disorder. The hospital didn't even take my picture for their records because they thought I wouldn't live. After six blood transfusions the doctor told my parents, "At this point, Eric is salvageable." My favorite thing that has ever been said about me.


2) I once dated the girl who plays Trudy Weigle on Reno 911.


3) While in Japan I had a one-night stand with a girl who was friends with the friend I went over there to see. Six months later she was in the states and called me but by then I was with the girl who became my wife. I ignored the girl's calls. I still feel guilty about it.


4) I ran away from home and crossed state lines only to discover that no one knew I was gone. My parents had gone on a vacation they had not told me about.


5) My wife used to be my boss


6) My Grandfather was a middle weight boxer and was state champion of Iowa in 1935.


7) I've never been drunk or high in my entire life. The only alcohol I've ever consumed was 3 beers when I was 16, and not all on the same night. Never touched a drug, never had hard liquor, never smoked a cigarette. 


It was hard to pick only 6 events from my life that, to me, sound made up but are real. Some real things that didn't make the cut:
The time I met Barry Manilow
I was at a Black Flag show that was busted up by the cops.
With my best friend at the time I once stole a gun from his Dad's gun cabinet and we went shooting in the woods. I almost caught a bullet in the back that day. Oh yeah, I was in the third grade.
I once slept on a bench in Grand Central station after walking the streets of Manhattan one night after I got denied entry to a Slayer, Megadeth & Bad Brains show because I was too young.
I crashed the cast and crew screening of Braveheart on the Paramount lot. 
When I lived in Boston I dated a girl named Diane who worked at Cheers (it's a real place) and her boss' name was Sam.
You can't make this stuff up people.


So who am I tagging? Well, many, I think all, off the writers I would consider to be cyber-friends and usual suspects on this endeavor have already been tagged so I am going with all fellow Second Wind writers. Might as well spread the love among my partners in crime (and mystery and thriller)
Of course I need to tag my co-author JB Kohl, also Christine Husom, the blog-happy Pat Bertram, romance author Amy De Trempe.  They all have regular blogs and I wanted to save a few so they can tag fellow Second Winder's as well. Enjoy folks. If anyone cares to know what the lie is I will post it here by the end of the week. Guess away.

3 comments:

christinehusom said...

I'm going to go with the one night stand being a lie. Looking forward to finding out. You have some good ones there!

Cormac Brown said...

Well, I know #2 and #7 to be true, because of the blog and FaceBook. I'm guessing that #5 is true, so I believe #3 to be a falsehood.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe you're that squeaky clean.